Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Priceless Memories & Traditions

Yesterday was my birthday and although presents are great and I do like receiving them, what's more precious to me is family traditions and memories I create for my little family.  It started out in 2006 on my birthday with a photo of me at 10.00 pm at night with my two kids and a couple of cupcakes after arriving quite late at Twin Waters Resort for the weekend.

The following year I thought I would follow up the photo and went to get the cupcakes and the bakery had sold out early so I had to buy some very boring and not so tasty cup cakes from Coles.  Every other year however I've purchased the same 4 cupcakes from the same bakery with sprinkles on them for my birthday photo with my kids.  As I'm the birthday girl I get to eat two cup cakes which only seems fair doesn't it.  I can make cup cakes myself but I buy these ones to keep with the tradition of the "same things" year upon year.

For the past 7 of the 9 years, I've taken the photo myself using the self timer on the camera and in recent years used a remote timer which is a lot more fun to play with, rather than taking one photo, running back to behind the tripod to press the button again and then running into the photo and hoping my focus is okay as everyone has moved positions by then.  Everyone gets a turn to press the remote and we get some interesting photos.  However even these little moments of running around the kitchen bench, pressing the button and running back to be in my own birthday photo create happy long lasting memories for James, Sienna and I.  They both know that on Mum's birthday we get the 4 cupcakes and take the "Birthday" photo for the year.  I love seeing how the kids have changed in the past 9 years however I think I should be worried about the next 9 years of photos as at the end of the next 9, James will be nearly 20, Sienna 17 and me....maybe a retirement village.  I'm sure they will come and visit me for my birthday photo.  So this little Birthday Tradition is one of my favourite family gifts and not everything precious costs money.  


9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Kathy! I have just had mine too and celebrated with dinner out with my three sons (but as a sign of the times, there was also a fiancee and a girlfriend there as well). Time marches on.... Hope you had a wonderful day! Melindi

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tradition and look at you, you have not aged at all by the looks of things. You will look back on these photos in years to come and really appreciate this little tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tradition Kathy. You still look the same 9 years later...beautiful to see how your children have grown. I'm a big fan of keeping traditions going, so simple yet so meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday for the other day Kathy. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated Birthday Kathy!!! Lovely traditio with the cupcakes and the photos. I must say, while your gorgeous kids have been growing up in the photos, you haven't aged a bit!! Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, not sure I'll get away with that in the next 9 years but we'll see. Kathy

      Delete
    2. This is SO wonderful!!! You know how much I love traditions like this:). What a treasure! Happy belated birthday too!!!

      Delete
  6. Happy (super) late birthday! I love these photos all grouped together, it's a wonderful birthday tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your birthday tradition! And most of all, I really enjoyed seeing your children grow :)

    ReplyDelete