Sunday, May 5, 2013

Five Seed Bread

A few weeks ago we made "Five Seed Bread" which was in the Thermomix book.  If anyone knows Bakers Delight I liken this bread to their "Cape Seed Loaf".  The bread is a "toast" bread and I have two slices with jam for breakfast and I give the kids one slice with jam as it's a lot of grains and plenty for their little bodies in the morning.  Both James and Sienna LOVE LOVE LOVE this bread and yesterday when I ate the last two slices while that had white bought bread toasted they were a little bit jealous because they think the bread is so good.

This bread is made in the Thermomix however you could make it without and just use a mixer with a dough hook on it.  This is a really runny mixture and once mixed you pour it into the loaf tin, pour the topping on top and then let it rise for 35-40 mins and then cook it in a 200 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.


FIVE SEED BREAD INGREDIENTS

500gms Bakers Flour
2 teaspoon dry Yeast
1 teaspoon Salt
50gms Oats **
30gms Sesame Seeds **
30gms Linseeds **
30gms Sunflower Seeds **
30gms Pumpkin Seeds **
30gms Poppy Seeds **
30gms Honey
30gms Olive Oil
500gms Lukewarm Water

(NOTE:  leave a small amount of all the seeds out mixed together to press into the top of the dough so don't put the entire amount into the mixture.

** I purchased these ingredients from Simply Good at Alderley where they sell by weight so I bought 3 times as much as these items and then measured all of them and made up a zip lock bag of "pre-mix" so next time it was quick instead of weighing out 6 different seeds.  It worked well this way and will continue to do this so whenever the need arises to make this bread it's not a lot of fussing around.

METHOD
Place all the ingredients into the Thermomix Bowl (or mixmaster with the dough hook) and mix for two and a half minutes and then pour into a 20cm square tin.  I used the 20cm square tin the first time I made this however today I used a loaf tin 24cm x 14.5 cm (from Kmart).  Once the mixture is in the loaf tin sprinkle some seeds onto the top of the loaf and set aside to rest for 30 minutes until the mixture has reached the top of the tin.  Once rested bake in 200 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.

Allow to cool in tin before unmoulding and slicing.  I've sliced it up and put most of it in the freezer and just take out the slices we need for breakfast.

I got James to make this loaf of bread today with a little help from me and the kids can't wait to have some sliced toast for breakfast tomorrow.






8 comments:

  1. It has risen beautifully and it is a joy to see your young man so absorbed and involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm I made this today and was disappointed, the dough didn't rise and after cooking it was still sticky and raw in the middle. I even put it back in the oven for 20 mins and it was still raw. I had to throw it out! Not sure what I did wrong :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie I have just read your message, one thing that can go wrong with breadmaking is the rise of the yeast. The water temp has to be right. Too hot and it can kill the yeast. Lukewarm water is between 105 and 110 degrees and I use a thermometer to get it right. Regards Kathy

      Delete
  3. I had the same problem, it's super thick dark crust on top and the inside is soggy and not cooked at all!! I was so excited to try this :( I followed the receipe exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking bread Kathy! We love our seedy loaves here too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious recipe! Just made it (by hand). Picture in my tweet. https://twitter.com/stephenaxlscott/status/756100866562674691

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve made this bread 4 times now and the first 2 loaves were like a solid pudding consistency after baking and inedible so they went in the bin. I love a seeded bread and tried it again and although not perfect it was tasty especially toasted. I’ve made another loaf today and it rose beautifully on proving but sunk in the centre on baking. All the other loaves I’ve tried in the basic cook book ( nearly all of them) have been fantastic except this one. Starting to wonder about the recipe and what is going wrong. I’m sooo disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This bread is super simple and my kids make it...not sure what's going wrong. It's quite a wet mix.

      Delete